- Remember to submit nominations for 2010 State Board Officers. You are all leaders and may be interested in taking the next step. You may know of others who would also be interested. Encourage them to apply.
- Although this isn’t a major election year, there is a lot of news regarding the 2010 Governor’s Race. With women running from both major parties, there is a chance for MN to have a woman governor. Be sure to keep in mind that AAUW cannot endorse partisan candidates nor can candidate forums exclude any of the candidates for a particular office. Contact Char Kahler, State Public Policy VP, if you have questions – firstname.lastname@example.org or 507-235-9837.
- The Minnesota Women’s Press is seeking personal stories from individuals to be published in their monthly magazine. Go to their website for details – http://www.womenspress.com/
- The Minnesota Women’s Foundation is calling for grant proposals to their Social Change Fund. They are especially interested in awarding grants to outstate groups. There mission is very similar to AAUW’s. Application deadline is Oct. 1. Check their website for more information – http://www.wfmn.org/.
- Theatre Unbound is presenting “Aphra’s Attic: an Evening of Historical Plays by Early Women Playwrights” Sept. 19 – Oct. 4 at the Lowry Lab Theater in Downtown St. Paul. Find information at http://www.theatreunbound.com/.
- A program developed by Admission Possible titled “College IS Possible” will be aired on tpt (Channel 2) on Sunday, 9/20 at 8:00pm, Monday 9/21 at 2:00am, 8:00am and 2:00pm. You will learn how low-income high school students are gaining the resources, inspiration and confidence to pursue – and succeed in – college. Admission Possible was our partner in the “I’m Going to College” events. This may give you ideas to pursue in your communities.
Thursday, September 17, 2009
Notes from the AAUW state president
Here's what's happening statewide!