Saturday, September 12, 2009

Meet two of our new members--in their own words!

Bonnie Straight:
I grew up in Fergus Falls, and graduated from high school in 1961. In 1963 I joined the Peace Corps and was assigned to a project in Southern Brazil developing the 4-H program in Brazil. In 1966 Rich and I were married. We have not had children of our own, but have tried to contribute to college programs in our churches and as volunteers for some Inter-Varsity activities. We have lived in various cities in the US and from the mid 1970's I worked with management information systems. After gathering college credits from a variety of schools I finally earned my bachelor's degree in MIS from the School for New Learning at DePaul University in Chicago in 1985. We lived in Lithuania from 1992-1996 and from 2001-2008. The first time in Lithuania I taught English and how ti use a PC (Windows, Word, and Excel). From 1996 through 2004 I worked and studied at Regent University in Virginia Beach. I earned a PhD in Organizational Leadership in 2004. The second time at LCC I chaired the Business Administration Department . In fall 2003 I found that I had Parkinson's Disease. I am very grateful that it has progressed very slowly and is well managed with medicine and exercise. In summer 2008, my husband Rich and I moved to Fergus Falls. We both needed some medical assistance that we were not able to have in Lithuania. I still teach online business courses for LCC as well as for Indiana Wesleyan University.

Robyne Williams:
What can I say about myself in just one short paragraph? Born some years ago on the island of Manhattan, NY; grew up outside Washington, DC in Maryland. Raised three children, have eight grandchildren, all who are beautiful (handsome), intelligent, creative, athletic, and successful. (I spend a lot of time at hockey rinks.) Taught third grade and kindergarten until NDSU hired me to teach textiles and they let me teach Women Studies. I retired after teaching at NDSU for 41 years. (It was time to pass the baton.) I like to play racquetball, sail, ski, dance and read. I belonged to the Fargo AAUW chapter about 20+ years and am now looking forward to meeting more intelligent, persuasive women.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome Robyne & Bonnie! You are both amazing ladies and I cannot wait to get to know you better. Kristi

    ReplyDelete